Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Did You Know That Probiotics Can Be Yummy?

If you really knew me, you would know that I am passionate about making fermented foods. I love the fact that I can get probiotics from my foods instead of taking expensive pills. Not only that, that taste great!!

Some of my favorite fermented foods:

* Sauerkraut
* Kim Chi
* Mango Chutney
* Pineapple Chutney
* Ginger ale
* Pickled Cucumbers


So what is so hot about lacto-fermented foods?

* They taste yummy!
* Lactic acid is a natural preservative that inhibits putrefying bacteria
* Enhances their digestibility
* Increases vitamin levels
* These beneficial organisms produce numerous helpful enzymes
* The organisms also produce antibiotic and anticarcinogenic substances
* Also promote healthy flora throughout the intestine


So, if I have your interest up, you may be wondering where do you find out how to make these interesting dishes? Well, I learned from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I have been preparing food for almost forty years, and I have gone through lots of different styles of cooking and used various cookbooks. However, since my encounter with Nourishing Traditions a couple of years ago, I hardly refer to any other cookbooks!

My friend Doug wanted to get Nourishing Traditions and he wanted to help me out by ordering from my old blog: Living my Passion , but the old link didn't work. So, here is the new link to buy Nourishing Traditions.

No comments: