Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How I Eliminated the Pain of a Minor Burn


Today, it was a beautiful day in my garden. I noticed a pile of debris that I had stacked during the summer. There were dried artichoke flowers, sunflower heads and stems, burdock stalks and seeds in the pile, Blackberry vines and various other things I didn't want to put in my compost pile were also stacked in this pile of debris. There was just a slight breeze so I decided it would be a good day to burn it.

After I started burning the debris, and I used a pitchfork to toss pieces back onto the fire. The end of the pitchfork fell off, and there were some small pieces that I picked up with my bare hands and threw back on to the center of the fire. Can you guess what I did? I burnt my hand. One of the pieces was red-hot where I grabbed it with the palm of my hand. So, I decided to use EFT. The palm of my hand hurt. I didn't bother giving a number for the intensity of the pain. I just started tapping on the karate chop point immediately saying Even though:

.....it was really stupid for me to pick up that burning branch with my bare hand, I deeply and completely love and accept myself
.....it really hurt where I got burnt on my palm...
.....I wish I would've been so stupid to pick up that burning branch with my bare hands...

Tapping on my body, my first round, I enthusiastically used "really stupid" as my reminder phrase. My second, third and fourth round, included ranting about how stupid I felt for picking up a hot branch with my bare hand.

Two hours after the burning of my palm, I could still see a red mark on my hand and the intensity of the pain was down to about a "one". Five hours after the incident, the intensity was less than a "half "and the red mark was barely visible.

So, how can you use this information? Let's say you hurt yourself. You can ask yourself "how do I feel about what just happened?" Many times, when we hurt ourselves we feel stupid or embarrassed. Get in touch with how you feel and start tapping. You start with your setup phrase which is this formula:

Even though_____________________( include how you feel) I deeply and completely love and accept myself. You repeat your set-up phrase three times while tapping on your karate chop point (which is on the side of your hand).

Then, start tapping on the points on your body. You can use a reminder phrase, so you remember why you are tapping. After a round of tapping, continue tapping and rant about how you feel about what just happened. If you feel embarrassed, because people are watching you tap, you may choose to get somewhere private: a bathroom stall, your bedroom, or your car. The important thing is to tap and release any emotions you may be feeling so you can speed up the healing process.

No comments: