Friday, July 04, 2008

Staying Calm During Catastrophes Using EFT

We have been living under the stress of several large forest fires that, for the past couple of weeks, have been raging within a couple of miles of our home. The above photo was taken from our front yard. I felt totally helpless, even terrified as I saw the giant plume of smoke billowing up. Though we were put under a Mandatory Evacuation Order on Saturday, we chose to stay and get our homestead more fire ready. While the Mandatory Order was lifted on Sunday afternoon (back to a warning), Mendocino County, where we live, is still under a national state of emergency.

My biggest fear was of losing our home. One of the many calls I received was from another land owner just up the way. He is currently living out of the area, He talked about how helpless he felt not being here. I wrote this article hoping to help people in a similar situation.

If you are terrified of a wild fire - for yourself or others - here is something you can do that will help you function more effectively, freeing your emotions so you can think and act more clearly.

First, get in touch with the emotion you are experiencing. For example, fear of the fire. You can change the words to work for you.

For the set-up phrase, you would say something like the sentence below three times while tapping on your Karate Chop point, which is on the meaty side of the hand (use either hand - it doesn;t matter):

Even though I am terrified of the fire and what it may do, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.

Then you would tap on the different points (I have attached a chart to help you see where to tap).
Top of Head:I am really terrified about the fire (Repeat phrase while tapping on the following points)

Inside Eyebrow:
Under Eye:
Under Nose:
Chin:
Collarbone:
Under Arm:

Keep repeating until you feel less fear. Then you can tap on the positive.

Top of Head: I choose to feel less fear
Inside Eyebrow: I am feeling calmer
Outside Eye: I release my fear now
Under Eye: I choose to feel calm so I can think better
Under Nose: I choose to release any remaining fear
Chin: I release remaining fear now
Collarbone: My mind is calm and I can think clearly
Under Arm I appreciate how clearly I can think

Also, if the emergency is triggering emotions from past events, you can use EFT to clear the emotions around those particular events. Releasing those emotions will make it much easier to deal with the present moment without all of the garbage from your past.

If the catastrophe that you are coping with is something other than a fire
(perhaps flooding or tornados), it doesn't matter. Just get in touch with the major emotion that you are feeling, and use the set-up phrase:

Even though I feel terrified about ___________, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.

To learn more about EFT, go to www.wayhealthy.us or www.emofree.com. If you are interested in a phone session, you can call me at (707)-462-2501.

No comments: